Wednesday, January 5, 2011

sleep challenges all around

No one in the Rogers family is getting a decent night's sleep.

Pregnancy is starting to wear on my back. I hate side sleeping and I'm starting to get the first twinges of sciatica. I miss belly sleeping. Last night was my worst night because we gave the cats their flea treatment yesterday afternoon. Well Poppy spent the entire [expletive deleted] night sleeping wrapped around my head. I mean wrapped. Because I was so locked in, I had trouble rolling and tossing like I needed to to take the pressure off of my back. The new bed can't come soon enough!

Speaking of new bed...we're finally getting a king sized bed. We have been trying to do it for the last - oh I don't know how many months - since Jon's last birthday. So many things kept us from buying; the top two reasons are the fact that we moved to Colusa and then we had NO money. Well, my mom and Sear's came through for us. No, my mom didn't buy the bed for us (sadly) but she did offer to put it on her store card so that we wouldn't have to risk getting dinged on our credit or rejected flat out. Then Sears had a phenomenal New Year mattress deal. 50% off + 10% off any set over $499 + free delivery & haul away. Funny thing, we ended up getting the second cheapest model but after rolling around on it for a long time, it really was the one for us. Firm but with a "euro-top". We added the most expensive frame. Got free warranty (10 yrs on the mattress and foundation, lifetime on the frame) but unfortunately no free delivery or haul away as we live out in BFN. And because my mom put it on her store charge, we got the option of NO INTEREST FOR 18 MONTHS -w00t!!!! And she got store appreciation points for redeeming too. The bed is supposed to be delivered on the 13th.

Sunday night: My mom also bought Liam a twin sized bed. It's a combo birthday/Christmas gift. It's actually the same model mattress and I think it will do him for awhile (until he's 11 and 6'17" right?). So we pulled the mattress from his crib on Sunday afternoon and set him up a little nest on the floor. He did okay going to bed and was so exhausted from not napping all day that he went down fairly easily. We only had to get up a couple times to put him back in as he'd rolled out.

Monday night: It was just as easy to put him to bed because we'd spent the whole afternoon with the Mathesons and, again, Liam got no nap. But at 2:30 am, Jon was called to duty. I was kept awake for a good 30 minutes or so while Liam wailed. Sometime around 4:30 Jon came limping back to bed. He'd had to sleep on the floor with his head on the mattress - bad idea. My poor hubster got the worst muscle tension in his neck from it. Thankfully, the little man slept until 9am yesterday so Jon was able to sleep for several hours in our bed.

Tuesday night: Liam refused to nap in his nest yesterday afternoon. Oh well. We have a lot of trouble getting him to nap, crib or no. But he went to bed easily again since he was exhausted. But Jon was called to duty at 3 something. My alarm was already going off by the time he came back to bed and Liam was obviously not asleep. We tried to ignore him. Finally Jon asked me to get up and go in with him (I'm currently trying to get back on my work schedule for next week, but was worried about getting up and starting my morning since Liam would want to get up). I opened the door and Liam was wandering around his room crying "momma, daddy!" but there were no tears. He saw me, smiled, and ran over to his changing pad (new frog in arm) and said "diaper!" Okay...so I changed his nighttime diaper which was pretty full. Then we rocked for a couple songs on his lullaby CD. He was out like a light but the second his head made contact with the bed, he woke up and started fussing. So I laid next to him and patted his back for a few more songs. I tried to get up as my back was KILLING ME from the cat fiasco last night, but as soon as I made a noise, he sat up and whined again. I told him I was still there and sat next to the bed. He settled, closed his eyes and didn't make any movement when the other cat came lumbering in and tromping on stuff (how does a 7 1/2lb cat make so much noise and be so ungraceful?). We sat watching him for awhile. We snuck out. HE hasn't peeped the entire time I've been writing this entry. My back is killing me. The coffee isn't kicking in yet.

Like I said, no one is getting a decent night's sleep at the Rogers' house.

No comments: